Cell phone communication is breaking all usage records and becoming an increasingly vital tool for marketers to connect with consumers, both around the block and around the world. According to research, 2019 will be the biggest year on record. Recent reports shed light on the opportunities and help us grasp the enormous potential and impact this has for businesses.
The point: SMS marketing can play a major role in developing a relationship with your customers and converting prospects. But don’t rely on our word for it, BizText247 has collected the most up to date and compelling SMS texting numbers for you to see for yourself. Do your research, because at the end of the day the information will lead you to build a marketing strategy that propels your business forward.
Worldwide Text Messaging Stats
If you need a feel for just how many people use mobile devices to communicate these days, and just how much we are attached to our phones, these text messaging numbers will illustrate that for you.
1. 5 billion people globally send and receive SMS messages. That’s about 65% of the world’s population.
2. 292 million people in North America use text messages — that’s 80% of the total population.
3. The country with the highest percentage of mobile users is Russia where 89% of the population sends and receives text messages.
4. China and India have the most people who send SMS messages – China comes in first with 1,082 million people and India second with 732 million.
5. The mobile industry had a revenue of $1.06 trillion in 2018. That’s a 1.65% annual increase.
6. 3.4 billion people access the internet via mobile.
7. Most people are using smartphones these days — 58% of mobile users own a smartphone.
The Future of Texting
The numbers show that text messaging and mobile usage isn’t slowing down any time soon. In fact, reports project it will keep growing at a strong pace through 2019 until at least 2025. It’s not a trend that will pass us by, mobile is a force that’s here to stay.
8. Globally, the amount of people who send and receive text messages is predicted to rise to 5.9 billion by 2025.
9. Smartphone usage is expected to increase to 77% of the global population by 2025.
10. By 2025, two-thirds of mobile connections will be on high-speed networks.
11. Researchers predict 6 billion people will send and receive SMS text messages by 2025.
12. By 2025, a predicted 61% of the world’s population will access the internet from their mobile phones.
SMS Marketing Numbers
So even if you know a lot about the market, how does any of that apply to your business? These SMS marketing numbers will give you an idea of how text messaging is capturing marketers and strategies they’re trying to implement in 2019.
13. People will definitely see what you send them — SMS open rates are as high as 98%.
14. You can start a conversation — As many as 45% of people reply to branded SMS marketing messages.
15. Gain an advantage over your competition — about 61% of marketers still don’t use SMS.
16. Across markets, mobile’s use is becoming more commonplace. 52% of business leaders in North America said it’s already a major factor in their industry.
17. Out of all the consumer behaviors that mobile is changing, 46% of North American marketers said it’s having the most impact on mobile commerce.
18. Retail is viewed as the industry in North America using the most innovative mobile marketing techniques by 47% of marketers.
19. Despite statistics on mobile’s rise, 65% of brands still don’t have a formal strategy in place with text marketing to take advantage of the amount of time we spend on our phones.
20. Numbers show that 73% of businesses expect their SMS marketing budgets to increase in the next year.
21. About 33% of marketers expect to prioritize mobile loyalty schemes and coupons in their plans for next year.
Other Important SMS and MMS Numbers To Know
One specific way to reach people on their mobile devices is through SMS and MMS marketing. Research proves that this is a very effective way to reach your consumers. More importantly, polls indicate this is the way they actually want to hear from you. People don’t enjoy receiving phone calls or emails from brands as much as text messages. They’re excited about text messages from businesses — the numbers show it. Source for statistics below.
22. 88% of people surveyed said text was the number one thing they use their phones for.
23. Don’t rely on the old methods of getting in touch – 90% of businesses said they leave voicemails to talk to consumers, but only 29% of consumers said they listen to those voicemails.
24. 92% of U.S. adults carry text-enabled phones, 98% of smartphone users use text on a regular basis, but only 14% of companies text with consumers. There’s a huge opportunity few businesses are taking advantage of.
25. 85% of customers prefer receiving text messages over a phone call or email.
26. Numbers show that 64% of customers want to use text messaging to make or update a reservation.
27. 71% of consumers say using text messaging to communicate with a business was effective.
28. More people send text messages than own personal computers or landline telephones.
29. 64% of consumers think companies who text value their time, are progressive and would recommend them to others.
30. 53% of consumers say they feel more positive toward a brand that uses mobile messaging to communicate.
31. 45% of consumers say the ability to send mobile messages is what could convince them to choose one brand, product or service over another.
32. Polls predict that by 2020, 85% of interactions between brands and customers will be managed without speaking.
33. 97% of companies found they communicated with consumers more efficiently after launching texting initiatives.
34. One group of early adopter of MMS for business is insurance agents. 67% of agents send and receive MMS messages to send quotes and claims. They report consumers respond “within minutes” to text messages.
35. 94% of businesses who already use text messaging would recommend it to a friend or colleague.
36. Interactive content, like some SMS or MMS campaigns, generate conversions 70% of the time, compared to passive content numbers at 36%.
37. 95% of millennials send messages daily, while four out of five consumers in total send daily messages.
How To Get Started With SMS or MMS Marketing
If reading these stats has you interested in trying SMS marketing for your business, 2019 is year to get started. Here are a few simple actions you can take to get started.
Find A Complete Solution
Instead of trying to do it yourself when it comes to text marketing, while you’re learning it’s a good idea to partner with a provider who has experience creating text campaigns and can walk you through a simple platform to launch your own initiatives. Find a SMS software service that can spend the 1 on 1 time to get you educated, help plan your campaigns, and automate some of your text messaging. BizText247 provides this exact type of hands on support and an easy to use platform to get started.
Create A Text Marketing Plan
Like any marketing initiative, it’s important to go into text marketing with a strong plan in place so that you can be decisive and cohesive with your communications to consumers. If you need some ideas on how to create a plan, we can provide those for you! Remember to become familiar with text marketing best practices if you’re just jumping in.
Review Your Strategy
Once you’ve initiated a marketing plan make sure you regularly review it against key performance indicators. You want to make sure your marketing dollars are well spent. If you find you need to go a step further with your strategies, implement advanced SMS marketing techniques to take your campaigns to the next level.
The text messaging statistics speak for themselves – mobile is growing and businesses that adapt are positioning themselves in the best place to make consumers happy. Don’t be afraid to embrace mobile marketing, adapting to it gives you a strong advantage over businesses who are slower to see the potential.